Realizing the need of better plant health services to resource poor, marginal and some commercial farmers SECARD Nepal initiate Plant Health Clinic concept with technical guidance and support from Global Plant Clinic (GPC) UK. Plant health clinic is a new concept for More »
Despite the huge potential of the commercial and vegetable farming as well as livestock, Nuwakot district is comparatively backward in harnessing the huge possibilities. Due to difficult terrain and very low income the people of this locality are far beyond the services of government and has not yet accessed by any NGOs and INGOs. Realizing this, SECARD-Nepal, with the funding of the Vibrant Village Foundation has launched this project in 3 VDCs of South-east of Nuwakot district.
Goal: The goal of the project is to improve the livelihood condition of the marginalized farming communities through sustainable agricultural practices and Small Economic Activity Development (SEAD)
- Implement environmental conservation and sustainable development programs.
- Formulate and launch survey, research and developmental activities on sustainable agriculture and natural resource management.
- Sensitize people on maximum utilization of the resources without disturbing the ecological balance.
- To promote organic agriculture particularly in high value and export oriented commodities.
- To empower the women farming community through income generating activities.
To achive the above mentioned goal and objectives we are in course of following activities
- Campaigning on merits of organic agriculture and demerits of conventional farming
- Community development
- Irrigation system development
- Promotion of livestock
- Promotion of high value commodities
- Commercial fruit production
- Plant clinics
- Plant nutrient and pest management
Geographical coverage of the project:
Sunakhani, Sikre and Samundradevi VDC of Nuwakot district
2.Sustainable Agriculture for Livelihood Improvement (SALI Project),
As a continued and extended project of Sustainable Agriculture Initiative in Kathmandu, this project is running in support of GTS Foundation, Germany. This project is concentrated the VDCs of Kathmandu, Dhading and Nuwakot. This has included some more extensive activities like mass production of organic commodities, establishment of cooperative marketing mechanism for organic products, commercial mushroom production and bee keeping for income generation, and establishment of ICS and PGS system for organic product certification.
The goal of the project is to improve the livelihood of rural farmers of project site through sustainable agriculture practices setting following objectives
- Aware farming commuities about ill effects of agro-chemicals
- Promote effective and efficient utilization of local resources
- Increase the farm income from agro- enterprises
- Strengthen and institutilize farmers’ organizations
- Establish internal control and participatory gurantee system for effective marketing of organic products
To achieve the goal of the project following activities are ongoing at the project sites.
- Awarness raising training and campaigns
- High value crop and livestock promotion
- Small scale infrastructure development for agriculture promotion
- Capacity building and human resource development
- Farmers institutional development
- Establishment of ICS and PGS for organic marketing
Geographical coverage: Dhading and Nuwakot
3.Plant Clinic for Better Plant Health Service
Realizing the need of better plant health services to resource poor, marginal and some commercial farmers SECARD Nepal initiate Plant Health Clinic concept with technical guidance and support from Global Plant Clinic (GPC) UK initally. Recently SECARD Nepal has provided services to the rural farming communities from the support of CABI PLANTWISE, INDIA. Plant health clinic is a new concept for the Nepalese farmers and plant health service providers which provide technical assistance to farmers regarding the plant health problems. Similar with the human hospitals or vetrinary hospitals, plant clinic is the hospital for the ill plants where farmer brought their diseased or problem and get effective suggestions and recommendations from plant doctors.
Develop better plant health services system
- Capacity building trainings ( Different Modules of How to to become a plant doctor ?)
- Stakeholder consultation meetings and workshops
- Plant clinic operation ( Regular and Mobile clinics)
- Laboratory cosultation for unidentified and complex disease samples from various parts of the country
4. Sustainability Assessment of Food and Agriculture System
The ecological , economic and social principles that has been received universal agreement in Earth Summit, 1992 has been accepted by many people. As agricultue land and forests occupy more than 60% of terrestrial surface, it is a major contributor to the current ecological footprint of humanity. Agriculture alone accounts for 70% of global freshwater withdrawal (FAO, 2011) and the same sector is contributing 31% of global green house gas emission (IPCC, 2007). So in this regard, to know, whether our enterprise is running out of sustainability or not? this SAFA tool has been developed by the Natural Resource Management and Environmental Department, FAO and is under testing in several countries. SECARD Nepal itself working in the arena of sustainable agriculture felt the need of testing the agriculture enterprise in our condition targeting the selected IPM growers in Chitwan districts. We are under the testing of the tool with support from FAO, Rome.
Geographical coverage: Chitwan Nepal